Apple Vacations Traveller Reviews
very hard to communicate with the staff and at some bars the bartenders would not come over unless they saw money. pool bar staff was excellent
The specialty restaurants were good but the wait staff was awful also the unknown amount of time you need to wait to get into the specialty restaurants was ridiculous. the food was good but I feel the selection was very limited.
our shower head broke in our room .
too many strollers and unsupervised young children for us.
NOT A 5 STAR RESORT
We have already submitted a letter to Tim Mullins the President of Apple as we are very unhappy with our trip. We spend $7000 dollars and tried to come home after three days. This was my review for Trip Advisor:
First, I must say I have been watching TripAdvisor for months and always use TripAdvisor before I book a trip. We have been to many resorts; Jamaica, Mexico, cruises, Europe. I have stayed at the Moon Palace and three star resorts. I booked this RIU because I was told it was completely shut down and renovated. Most of the reviews are positive. I was looking so forward to this trip for months, we have never been away for NEW YEARS. We paid $7000 Canadian which isn’t cheap but it is a good price for four people for Christmas break. I was expecting a 4-star place, IT should be a 3 star at best.
We have already written a huge letter to Apple Vacations, our travel agent, and RIU resorts about our trip. IT was very disappointing and disheartening. Three days in we tried to come home it was so horrible. There were some positives but mostly negatives. I think if we had been given a renovated clean room first maybe our week would have gone a lot smoother.
• First room was horrific—door was wide open too, air broke, safe broke, screen for patio cut top to bottom, no water, stained and soiled sheets, towel hooks were falling out of the wall, plugs were not working. Called to get another room and I was told they were full—I went and demanded to speak to a manager was told they weren’t available until Jan 3, I was like oh no…. get me a supervisor—so I dealt with a really nice smiley guy who let me look at another room as the people had not arrived yet. IT seemed better as the air was working, there was water and the safe worked. But a few hours later I went to use the shower it was so disgusting—it was full of white soap scum and would not drain. I went to use a hand towel it was full of hair. I wanted to cry…this was New Year’s Eve and our first day. I tried to call the front desk, the phone was broke. I went back to the front desk and asked for the supervisor-he went home-So I dealt with Oliver. He was fantastic. He was super understanding as I was very teary. He told me to come back tomorrow and he would move me into a better room. He did the next day. I was so thankful for him.
• 99 % of the staff is VERY unfriendly, they don’t speak any English, don’t greet or smile or even acknowledge you
• cats everywhere (mangy, filthy, hissing) even inside the restaurants –I have pictures—in garbage cans throughout the resort
• main buffet restaurant no hostess you have to fight, fend for a table and clean it yourself
• no service at main buffet- in the am they slap a coffee pot on your table the rest of the meals you get your own drinks and anything you need-they don’t clear the plates either—not friendly at all- we had to clear and clean our own tables-and we even tried tipping-no change
• bartender in main pool area not friendly don’t acknowledge you and the one time he did acknowledge me his Spanish patrons were mocking us in Spanish as he overpowered the drinks with alcohol and laughed at us as he delivered them. Most of the guests at this resort spoke other languages beside English and a lot of them spoke Spanish. They were very rude and thought they were above us.
• Bathrooms around the pools very dirty, chairs and tables around the pools dirty
• Never saw anyone cleaning any of the 5 pools
• Raw meat 4 times from the buffet
• Flies all over you in the main buffet restaurant inside!!
• We asked front desk for towels, blankets, help at 4:00 am when we were leaving and were told we are coming…NEVER CAME!
• Entertainment is lame and not worth your time---can’t understand them and had nothing for New Year’s Eve
• Our first maid did not make anything for towel animals—I even left her a note in Spanish to make something for my son—she made an ugly brown cobra—the next day the room was cleaned so nice with cute towel animals and the curtains were done beautifully with flowers by obviously a different maid—I found her and told her how happy we were with her. She was happy and so awesome. We got to have her for two days. Odalis Avila!
• Waterpark is okay but they have 10 mats for the whole park—not a surprise
• Steakhouse is horrible—not worth waiting 1.5 hours the steak at the Mexican was 100 times better!
• The staff have NO backbone—they allow people in the restaurants in bathing suits and even allowed a lady to get up and grab her own wine at the steakhouse! Unacceptable the staff need to stand up and tell the guests NO or at least stop damaging things!
• Glass plates everywhere—on the beach, in gardens, broken in gardens…terrible
• The weather was amazing—hot and humid, I was never cold
• Pools and the ocean are super warm
• Excellent fruit and veggies
• Good food for the most part- I think food was undercooked because they were busy
• A few good workers at this resort
• Beach is exceptional—nicest beach we have been too
• Resort is beautiful –chairs, lounge areas, lounge chairs, palm trees…has great potential—needs management
• Oliver the supervisor was amazing very professional and sympathetic.
• Free tour of cigars, coffee, chocolate was good
• Frank with the braces bartender was very happy and friendly
• Our maid for two days Odalis Avila was exceptional- I made sure I told her supervisor and we left her nice presents (hopefully she received them)
• Miguel and all his staff at the pool near the 7000 building were very friendly and worked hard. Very clean at the bar.
Overall, we have lots more to say but you can email me if you are interested. I would never go to another RIU. We walked for 40 minutes and checked out other resorts. We snuck in the Iberostar to use the bathroom, it was beautiful and we were greeted right away with an smiling worker who said “HOLA”! The Palace next door was nothing special, very dirty bathrooms too. A lot of the people that were vacationing at our resort were very rude and had no respect for the resort. They would throw their glass plates all over the resort including the beach. Kids were running all over the tables and breaking glasses. People were pigs in the buffet grabbing food with their hands. I was so disgusted by a lot of the guests as well. IT really is a shame and unfortunate.
Was denied entry
When my wife and I landed in Punta Cana I was denied entry into the country. Which didn’t make any sense seeing as that was our third time going there. So we flew right back to Chicago. Worst honeymoon ever
Our family vacation to Punta Cana and specifically RIU Bambu was tainted by the fact that our entire family got sick after eating at one of the restaurants in the property. However the food in general was fair at best. I left my vacation sick and disappointed in the quality of the food offered and served.
We recently stayed at the RIU Bambu for 7 nights. There were 4 different occasions we went to shower and there was no hot water. Supposedly it was fixed our last night around 7PM so we were unable to shower after our beach day before dinner. The next morning before check out when we showered; the water was barely warm. Having no hot water 4 days out of 7 when we wanted to shower was not appreciated. We complained at the desk with no adjustment to our bill etc. We talked to our Apple rep. and he didn't really seem to want to pursue anything on it for us either. There was construction going on and they said this was the reason for the hot water issue but guests should have been compensated for the inconvenience.
The stay at the Riu Bamboo was comfortable/safe and a lot of fun. We booked this resort specifically for it`s No SpringBreakers policy----Several days after our arrival around 300 plus Springbreakers showed up and the peaceful beach/pool was a thing of the past. Riu Bamboo does not enforce this Rule. Also--long pants a dinner --not enforced. Dinner Reservations--won`t take them We booked a Deluxe room---which was a mistake---the standard rooms are updated and have a nicer layout--we ended up moving to a standard room even though we paid for "Deluxe" Over all had a great time--
Riu Bambu and an excellent bargain for your money
This was our 6th stay at Riu Bambu and we keep going back because of the beaches and the staff. The resort is very nice and they are making wonderful upgrades to the resort. The people are absolutely the best.
The hotel is very clean, staff very friendly people. The pool amazing, clean beaches with the ability to walk over to other hotels. Food was good, plenty of choice, I can't see that anyone would be stuck finding something they liked.
This hotel needs a major overhaul. the rooms smelled moldy. my clothes smelled.the food not good. the bed was comfortable though. found out more information from other guests than from hotel desk. amstar agent was helpful. excursions are a must. spoke with other guests from other RIU hotels, who had better things to say about their hotel. a lesson learned.
Location is perfect! Beach is outstanding! Staff is so kind and friendly! Omelette maker in the main dining area is great! My family loves him! Also our house keeper was so sweet! Fransico and Pablo at the beach kept us happy! They are great! Only negatives are the beds (too hard) and the food isn't the greatest. But, we've been here 3 times and we will go back!
Hotel Rui Bambu
It is a massive Hotel, the food quality was poor, Breakfast was O.K. lunched were terrible, hard to find anything good, much less warm. The dinners were hit & miss, the best restaurant was the Mexican. An exception was the spread they put out for New Years Eve, that was good. Our rooms were O.K. , nothing special, but at least 2 blocks from the Beach. Great Beach! Pleanty of Palm Trees & shade, lots of chase lounges. Very Good weather
TripAdvisor Traveller Reviews
lovely from facilitiesy hotel good staff only problem was as a 74 yr old we were in the rooms furtest away
from the resteurants rooms around ours were being updated which ours required but still a good holiday
Great Christmas and New Year Away
This was the 2nd visit to this hotel albeit 11 years apart.
We were a little apprehensive having read all of the reviews with such mixed opinions but we had the best time.
First of all, pretty much everything had changed around the hotel compared to the last time we were there with the upgrading of all areas and the addition of the new pools and blocks.
Our room was in Block 40 and was decent enough, very clean with everything working and the cleaners did a grand job each day with towel art etc.
We knew that the main pool was lively so opted to spend our days by the pool which was next to our block. It only really got busy later in the day (probably due to the sun being lower at that time of year meaning people had to move from the other pools). Pool was always pretty clean apart from the odd cup left behind which was cleaned up fairly promptly.
Main restaurant was okay but I really can't understand the reviewers that claim there was never any food to eat.....there was so much choice and, whilst it isn't Michelin starred it certainly isn't bad!!
We visited most of the A La Carts, again people complain that they had to wait for ages, what rubbish, we went at around 8.15 every night and never had a problem getting in apart from one night when we simply went to another one.
Food was pretty good in them all apart from the steak house where the service was so slow that the food was cold when it got to the table and drinks took forever to arrive.
Christmas was okay but seemed pretty low key but New Year was excellent.
Animation team we didn't see much of but evening entertainment was a bit repetitive but that could have been the time of year.
All in all a great two weeks, if your'e looking at this hotel try to look beyond the reviews as it is pretty decent.
We'd go back
Beautiful beach and palm trees!
In general we liked our stay in Riu Bambu. Recent remodeling looks modern and nice. Its not luxury resort, and we never expected that. I do not understand how some people complains about this resort being not luxury. It does not say anywhere its luxury.
The best thing we liked was beach. Beautiful palm trees which provide a lot of shade so there is no need for umbrella. Food was very good, I would say better than expected. Main buffer Colonial was great every time. We ate in all restaurants and liked all of them, Hibachi grill was our favorite. I would suggest add some background music in restaurant areas.
Evening performances were ok, but not great. We would enjoy more live music, like piano. Some evenings we felt bored with nothing to do. Kids entertainment was great but adults program we did not like much.
We stayed in December, the weather was great.
Wow great place great service
Very clean the staff are very young and funny
A lot of activities and ambiance nice beach for the long walk
The food is good
Thank you to the manager Mister JOSE very professional and always available with a great smile
And also Miss ANNA at the reception wow wow wow she is the best period
Thank you all I had a great time
But please do something with the sports bar not good at all cold burger and hot dog not good for the Riu image
Not 5 star
We are just returning from a 10 day stay. We upgraded to a deluxe room, I am not sure what we got extra, but the shower was hot and powerful, bed a super king size, and we had 2 sinks.
Food basic, but plenty of it, the speciality restaurants were apparently good, we only visited the Spanish one, which served a large array of seafood and other Spanish food.
The wine was awful, it was not possible to upgrade to better wine either so some guests, shopped in a supermarket and took their own to each meal at $10 a bottle. We have stayed in Riu hotels all across the world, and this was the worst wine we have ever had.
There were 5 pools, 2 of which are very quiet, most of the time.
We were most disappointed about being sold mosi bracelets by the TUI Rep on the bus, the big sell was very bad customer service, after delayed flights etc..... We did not wear them for long as they were not really required. No mosi bites either. What a ripoff! We expect more from TUI than that. Then we were told the bus driver doesn't get paid so we should each give him $10, we did not.
The Dominican Republic has changed a lot in the 12 or so years that we last visited, it's not as poor and much more stable. They charge you to get in and to get out so make sure you have $ with you.
The staff were generally friendly, and responded to Hola, but would ignore you if you ignored them. This is not quite as Riu usually is so I can understand some complaints about that. This is a very busy family orientated hotel, which has good facilities, but no luxury.
The comments and opinions on this Ratings and Reviews section of our website are the views and opinions of TripAdvisor members and AppleVacations.passengers. They are providied 'as is' and we accept no responsibility for any loss, injury, inconvenience or other damage resulting from this information. You should verify critical information (for example passports and visas, and customs) with the relevant authorities, and review our Fair Trade Contract and Things To Know Before You Go (including our Health and Safety Tips For Travelers) before you travel.