Apple Vacations Customer Satisfaction Score
What to expect
297 past Apple Vacationers would recommend Royal Hideaway Playacar to their friends and family
Latest Apple Vacations Review >>
TripAdvisor Web Reviews
What to expect
Apple Vacations Traveller Reviews
It was very difficult to get two chairs at the infinity pool. However, I prefer the beach, so it wasn’t a big problem for me.
Wonderful Getaway for adults
we vacationedt o Royal Playacar for the first time in February 2018 with friends. It was easy to check in, make reservations for dinners, and access to the beach. The rooms were clean and the individual concierge in each building was lovely. We used room service twice and the meals were timely and hot. Every service team member added to our experience from beginning to end. The drivers at the airport, service staff, cleaning crew, entertainment, and spa staff made our short trip extremely relaxing and enjoyable.
Excellent resort. Clean, good food, excellent service
My wife and I were extremely pleased with our stay. We had been to Hawaii several times and we were worried this wouldn't be as nice. However, the place was very clean, the beach was very nice(although the seaweed was a little much on our last day), and we enjoyed the food. My only complaint is similar to other people. The dinner reservation isn't good. We saw the reviews and lowered our expectation expectation, but still was disappointed in the restaurants we were able to get. However, the food was good everywhere.
I can't say enough about the wait staff and our Concierge. It was great having our Concierge located right in our building.
We found excellent service and fabulous food at this hotel! It was quiet and relaxing and close to downtown if you wanted to walk about 10 minutes. The pools were clean and beachfront windy but very nice. We enjoyed all 5 restaurants serving ala carte meals and not buffets! We also liked having a spa and gym on the premises. We were very pleased with this hotel and will be going back!
10th Anniversary vacation
Absolutely cannot say enough how awesome the Royal Hideaway was and our vacation overall. Amazing food. Excellent staff. Just awesome.
Good beach,nice room, service opportunities
the beach was great,rooms, service an opportunity. Could not get a reservation to eat 1st night, reservation messed up 4th night, manager did little to resolve. Told could not wear jeans, even though website simply said long pants. Wilber at Azia Restaurant excellent - resolved our many issues there when hostess and manager did not. Not pleased overall with experience when compared to Apple rating.
Great staff, excellent food. Beach was outstanding. Reservation system at restaurants was horrible. The resort was half full and it was like pulling teeth to get a reservation the day before.
Our stay at the Royal Hideaway was excellent. We chose it because it was small and served excellent food.There were many pros and the only con was it was difficult to get a reservation for dinner as it got closer to Christmas and busier. The food was marvelous! The staff worked hard to see our needs were met.
Apparently this hotel is under new management and I'd say it's taken a turn for the worst. The staff is amazing but the breakfast and lunch was terrible. At the very least if there was a tasty buffet, it wouldn't be as awful. But there wasn't. The dinners were the best food, so if you did the liquid diet in the daytime and eat dinner you could get by. The drinks were top notch! But for the price we paid per person it was not worth it. I go on vacation to eat amazing food 3 x a day, not only for dinner.
The room was comfortable but smelled like mold. I didn't believe this resort could be 6 plus golden apples. There was just something missing.
The beach was beautiful, powdery sand, no rocks.
The staff is exceptional it's not their fault that the hotel is under new management, they go above and beyond. I wouldn't stay here again.
Everything from the accommodations to the service at Royal Hideaway were outstanding!
TripAdvisor Traveller Reviews
Would Return & Recommend!
Actually I would give this hotel a 4+, but unfortunately this is not an option. When my mom and I talked about our trip we struggled on whether our stay was a 4 or a 5 but ultimately decided on a 4+ and here is why.
First off we are frequent Mexico travelers to various cities (more than once to Cancun & Rivera Maya), and I myself work at a five star hotel in Los Angeles so our expectation are rather high as we are well versed in the industry. Although this property lacked in a some things overall we were very happy with out stay and would absolutely recommend this hotel, and come back again ourselves!
Here is what we liked:
1. The food for an all-inclusive resort in Mexico was great! Much better than many properties we visited and we normally stay at 5 star all-inclusive resorts-- Secrets, Dreams, etc.
2. The resort is well maintained, clean, and the grounds are beautiful. It's such a nice change from the big box hotels with 20+ floors. Yes, you may not have an ocean view but this villa style hotel is much more tropical and boutique like, which for us was better.
3. There are friendly animals walking around like iguanas, sereque (Mexican rabbits/squirrels), beautiful birds, ducks, and we even saw a cat one night.
4. 6 pools! Some are a little hidden but nonetheless many options. However my mom and I tried to use the spa's outside pool and got bit by mosquitoes.
5. Beautiful white sand beach.
6. We really liked our room and it wasn't even a suite. The bathroom and balcony were large, and the L'occitane products were a nice touch. In fact it appeared all the rooms had balconies.
7. The clientele is older-- my guess is middle age and up, so the atmosphere is calm and relaxing.
8. Nightly entertainment every night at 8pm in the Theater and 9:30pm at the downstairs bar. The staff did a fabulous job. Although one point I would like to make is 8pm is quiet early for an evening show, 9pm would be better. My mom and I were required to eat dinner at 6:30/7pm and were still late for the show most nights.
9. Overall the service was attentive, though at times it was a little slow in the restaurant; we were on vacation so it did not bother us.
We would especially like to give praise to Roberto who helped put on the evening shows, Johel from the Asian restaurant who took care of a room issue so we can eat dinner and not worry, and Andres from Spices who was our favorite waiter at the hotel! Additionally we would like to thank all the entertainment staff for treating us kindly and keeping us engaged.
Now a few pointers to make as to why I did not give this review a 5:
1. Follow up! This has to be because I work at a hotel so I know how important this can be but I must say this hotel needs major help. We must have told 3 different people about our iClock/iPod dock not working about 4/5 times and they all wrote it down and it never got fixed! We told 2 people about the fire alarm going off in our room (while we were sleeping) and it still wasn't done! We asked twice because our room phone also didn't work-- luckily this got fixed the second time we asked. My mom and I had a running joke about whether or not our clock would be fixed! It never was and we stayed 7 days!
2. No yoga! This is the first resort I've ever been to in Mexico of this caliber that didn't offer yoga classes. They had other activities but I feel like this day in age yoga is a must.
3. Limited lounge chairs by the pool. For the first two days my mom and I managed to find chairs but witnessed a group fighting over chairs. It was quiet comical but I'm sure frustrating for those involved. I overheard one of the women saying she put books on her chairs at 5:30am!!!! Though the resort is not large it's much large than the amount of lounge chairs by the pool. What doesn't help is that guests who book a suite get reserved seating which is blocked off by staff. My mom and I ended up using the beach lounge chairs which were abundant! It was quieter than by the pool, and we were there for the beach afterall!
The next two points are more comments than complaints:
1. Other than The Grill at breakfast all restaurants were not buffet style. You had to sit down an order. Now this is nice and rare for all-inclusive hotels, but in practice it doesn't always work. The first day we went for lunch we waited over 30mins for our order. Being from Los Angeles we were a little taken aback. Luckily we found Andres at Spices who was such a great and efficient waiter we ate most of our lunches there. There are a lot of patrons at both Spices and The Grill and I feel the restaurants are not always able to handle a larger group at once.
2. We booked our trip to Rivera Maya because years ago when we visited we remember how beautiful the water was. Last year when I went to Secrets The Vine in Cancun the water was great but the beach was rocky. We felt compelled to return to this side. However what we didn't realize is a major seaweed problem that has haunted the beach since 2015! This is not advertised anywhere! There are literally mountains of seaweed on the shore. On working days a tractor comes and cleans it and though the water is not completely clear it's a world of a difference. With that said I don't think this cleaning service is available on Sundays so sadly the beach was literally unswimmable! Yes seaweed is basically leaves but left in mountains is starts to smell and ruins the atmosphere completely! For the most part we loved swimming in the sea, but devastating how things have changed.
Now to end the review I would like to mention I am 30 and my mom is in her early 50's, and we both greatly enjoyed our time here. Both of us are married but sometimes travel as a duo and we never once felt like this resort caters to honeymooners or couples like most Mexican resorts do. This is a great resort for virtually anyone looking for relaxation and sun!
We just got back from Royal Hideaway and we canâ€™t wait to go back!
Our stay (10 people total) was spectacular. I never felt pushed into writing a review, I could wait to come home and write one!
With a group of 10, we didnâ€™t have a problem making dinner reservations each night. I suggest you do it as soon as you arrive before the fabulous drinks start flowing!
Bring some music, they only play music during aqua aerobics (SO FUN).
The room was perfect, cleaned daily and a short walk to the beach pool. Have someone reserve chairs in the morning, that was the only downfall. With a group of 10, someone from our group was out at 5 each morning to secure at least 8 chairs. Sometimes not together.
Canâ€™t wait to come back!
We love Mexico, always stay in different resort(4stars or above) RH was the tenth we wen to and the worse. Not enough food, not enough chairs at the pool, not enough chairs at the alegria bar, not enough dinner reservation at normal hrs, even fish from the grill at the lunch time at the pool is not cooked enough( almost got sick) This is 3 star resort. The only good thing i can say about this resort is stuff and saraundings.
Not as expected
Let me start by saying that my I have been vacationing in Mexico since 1995. We have done both, couples only, family and family and friends vacations. It is obvious, that we would compare places we visit. That said, it is getting harder to â€śwowâ€ť us and we have been really careful to pick a new resort. Last year we stayed at Paradisus La Perla and absolutely loved to the point that we would go back if not for the really bad beach situation.
This year our agent suggested Royal Hideaway saying that people keep going back there for years on, which probably means that the place is amazing. It is not.
We did meet people who were there their 8th time. I could not understand why anyone would go back.
I will give an overview in detail if anyone is interested:
- service IS excellent
- the beech is beautiful when not filled with the seaweed).
- people call the style of the hotel â€śold charmâ€ť â€“ I call it â€śplain oldâ€ť. It needs major remodeling.
- Worst breakfast I have ever had in Mexico with children serving at the only made to order station. I canâ€™t understand how management would allow these unprofessional people be in the kitchen
- No buffet options for either lunch or dinner. I am not a fan of buffet at all, but when the restaurants are absolutely horrible, I would prefer to go and chose my food.
- Dinner restaurants are mediocre at best. Surprisingly the best was Azia and Spices.
- The room, even if it is ready and clean, will not be given to you before 3 pm. I specifically wrote to them in advance to ask for an early check in since we had an early flight and they still did not accommodate. This gave us a very bad taste, especially when we found out from out concierge that the room was ready early.
- And the biggest complaint that I had about this place is the limited number of pool space. Never in my experience we had to be by the pool by 5:30 am to secure two chairs. This was absolutely ridiculous
This resort overall would get 3* from me at best.
This is a great place to stay - excellent service, clean , good food , nice beach, very personable. I always felt safe, we would definitely come back and stay again. would liked to have a little more music at the main pool but it was relaxing and quiet.
The comments and opinions on this Ratings and Reviews section of our website are the views and opinions of TripAdvisor members and AppleVacations.passengers. They are providied 'as is' and we accept no responsibility for any loss, injury, inconvenience or other damage resulting from this information. You should verify critical information (for example passports and visas, and customs) with the relevant authorities, and review our Fair Trade Contract and Things To Know Before You Go (including our Health and Safety Tips For Travelers) before you travel.